Thursday, June 17, 2010

My Next Life

When this life merges into the next and provided I have an option of what or who to be, I have decided to live my next life as a DANDELION!  We have many sharing our 6 and 1/4 acres, but most seem to inhabit and thrive on the what is considered to be --the front lawn.  The front lawn is usually the place I mow so I am sure not to include new plantings or other flowers getting ready to bloom during the demolition of way too long grass.  There are those in my household that believe machines rule--so if a flower gets caught in its path--it must have been in the way.

Sooooo as I was mowing my front the other day, I noticed how healthy, strong and seemingly proud these little wonders are.  Their "flower" is not totally ugly and to me looks nice when seen massed in a field.  The stems from some are clearly almost a half inch in diameter--huh??? We better get checked for any nuclear run off here. There leaves are hearty and thrive anywhere I believe.  I can attest to on the lawn, in the dirt, in the cracks of macadam, in between every walkway we have, in the sun, shade, and in between.  So when left alone they have a rather long and continuous life span. 

I have known that my ancestors used this wonder for salads and wine--- making it practically a plant to be worshipped.  If I would google it I am sure there would be tons of info as well but I won't. 

I'm not ready for the next life yet so until then I lead my mower around cautiously and continue my damage to their species.  When done, it does look, to the naked eye,  as if the grass is trimmed and the dandelions are gone--mainly because the yellow is no longer present.  But remember those stems I mentioned---well here is what happens.  They don't get cut-- they lie down and squeeze themselves closer to the ground. There is intelligent life here.  I know this to be so cause the very next morning I come out to take a peak and there are tones of headless stems standing proud and unconquered. I now have a lawn that looks as if it is loaded with green pencils. 

I will make another pass with the mower and just like a sharpener make those stems a little shorter for they will again lie down and play dead til the next day.  Yes I could dig them out by the roots but then that seems drastic and far too time consuming on a summer day.  Besides we are developing a bond of sorts. I am beginning to respect their determination to survive.  Now put all that together --Purpose, Poise, Persistence, Pretty (at times), Pride without Prejudice--and there's more if I take the time.  Looking at all those attributes and pondering the idea of re incarnation--brings me full circle to looking forward to the possibility of returning as a DANDELION.  Now if I knew I could pick my own location.............

No comments:

Post a Comment